|MithiWiki Home > ConnectXf Home > ConnectXf Administration > Configuration > Folder size on the server keeps growing for a POP user|
Folder size on the server keeps growing for a POP user
- User has configured a POP type of email account on the Outlook desktop client.
- Also, user has configured BlackBerry mobile to access his account remotely.
- Folder size of this account keeps growing on the server.
1. Check desktop client settings:
- Since user has configured a POP type of email account on Outlook desktop client, in which by default all mail are downloaded and deleted from the server once retrieved. So, there is no possibility that a copy of deleted mail are stored on the server when deleted from desktop client.
But in case, if user has opted to save the copy of deleted mail on server. You need to configure your desktop client for deleting messages from server periodically.
Following steps guide you to check if user has opted to keep a copy of mail on server.
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
- Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
- Select your ISP account, and then click Change.
- Click More Settings.
- Click the Advanced tab, and under Delivery, check if the select the Leave a copy of messages on the server option is selected.
- If user has opted for the option, indicates copy of all mail are stored on the server.
- If user has not chosen this option then you need to check the settings configured on BlackBerry device.
2. Check BlackBerry settings:
- Check the settings configured on BlackBerry for deleting mail. Verify if it is configured to save deleted mail to the trash folder on the server.
Follow the steps to verify the configuration
Note: Following steps are carried out using BlackBerry model 9850.
- From the Home screen, choose Setup > Email Settings.
- Select your account.
- Press the control key and choose the Edit option.
- Choose Synchronization Options.
- If you have configured Outlook to leave a copy of mail on server, mail remain on the server indefinitely unless you choose the options
- - Delete mail from server when deleted from the Deleted items OR
- - Delete mail from server after specified time duration.
This is the reason the folder size on the server keeps growing
- If your BlackBerry is integrated with a POP type of email account, and configured to save deleted mail in the Trash folder on server, then email messages deleted on the device typically are moved to a Trash or Deleted Items folder on the mail server. Due to which the folder size on the server keeps growing.
I] Change Outlook account settings for removing deleted messages from server,
- On the Tools > E-mail Accounts.
- Click View or change existing e-mail accounts > Next.
- Select your ISP account, and then click Change > More Settings
- Click the Advanced tab, and under Delivery,
- - Click to de-select the Leave a copy of messages on the server and stop keeping the copy of mail on the server.
- - You can decide a time period for leaving copy on the server.
- - You can decide to delete mail from server when deleted from the Deleted items folder of the Outlook mailbox.
Reference Link: Outlook Help
II] Change BlackBerry account settings
If you need copy of deleted messages to be saved on the server for your record, keep save deleted mail to server trash over IMAP option selected and manage to remove older mail in the Trash folder permanently. This keeps the Trash folder size on the messaging server from reaching its maximum storage capacity.
Or by de-selecting the option save deleted mail to server trash folder you can delete mail permanently from your account.