High load average on server - services not responding/responding slow
- The top command shows the following
- The load average is high
- The swap and memory are fully used.
- The idle time is zero
- The IO waits are very high
- Stopping the SMTP, POP, Spam etc services does not reduce the load on the server
- Some process is taking up all the memory
- The swapping is increasing the IO wait, reducing the idle time to zero
- A lot of processes are in wait state increasing the load average.
- Find out the process which is taking up all the memory as follows:
- Run the top command
- Keeping the caps lock OFF, press Shift+M, to get the list of processes running with the process taking the maximum memory on top.
- Copy the PID of the process in the clipboard.
- Exit the top command by pressing Cntrl+c.
- Run cat /proc/<PID>/cmdline. This will give the process and its arguments.
- If the process is non- critical, like a backup, periodic sync etc., kill the process using the command kill -9 <PID>
Some of the known reasons of increased load average aer given below:
|In the DRBD setup if there is any hardware problem to the DR server the load on the primary server increases very high||
drbdadm disconnect all
|There are lot of POP processes waiting on IO||Users_cannot_login_to_their_accounts_using_the_POP_service|
Most of the time when the load is increasing abnormally, it is due to some hardware problem. It is highly recommended to get the hardware audit done in such cases.