Mail delivery delayed
- Check the header of the mail.
- Read it bottom to top
- Check the recipient server and the time of the mail received by the recipient server at every hop
- Compare the timing and where the mail is getting delayed.
From the server
- Check the time when the mail was hit on the server using following command
cat /var/log/messages | grep <sender name>
- Check the time when the mail was delivered to the user using following command
cat /var/log/maillog | grep <sender name> | grep <recipient name>
Analyse the time to know whether the delay was there on the server.