Mails getting marked as SPAM even after whitelisting the sender domain and sender id
Even after whitelisting a sender emailid/domain in spamassasin, mails from the sender are still getting marked as spam. This can happen due to
- The changes not taking effect in the spamassassin conf file
cat /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf | grep <sender>
- The whitelisted sender should appear as 'whitelist_from <sender>'.
- In this case, run script /mithi/mcs/bin/regen.local.cf.sh
- If the problem persists check the whitelist itself using command
/mithi/mcs/bin/listwhitelistedsenders.sh | grep <sender>
- The spamassassin service is not restarting properly after the change.
- Restart the service.
- The senderid or its domain is present in the default.blacklistsenders.local.cf which is a static blacklist of thousands of domains and senders which were found to be sending spam mail at some point in time.
cat /etc/mail/spamassassin/default.blacklistsenders.local.cf | grep <sender>
cat /etc/mail/spamassassin/default.blacklistsenders.local.cf | grep <only-domain-part-of-sender>
- If the sender or its domain is present in this list, comment it in the file and restart the spamassassin service.